Monday, August 6, 2007

A tribute to my Nonnie


This is a picture of my Nonnie, Rena from 2000. She passed away August 4, 2005.

I had a dream about her a few days after she died, and I'll never forget it. She was washing dishes in her kitchen, something she always did. I realized, although it was a dream, that she had passed away. I asked her why she had come all the way back to wash dishes, to which she replied "I like washing dishes."

She walked toward the cabinet to retrieve some items, and I was grief stricken, even in my dream. "Why didn't you ask God just to let you live a little bit longer?"

She looked right at me and smiled, "I did, about fifteen years ago. Isn't God great?"

Right after her response I awoke.

There is something about the relationship between a grandmother and a grandchild that is never forgotten and always longed for. I now have no grandparents, and it makes me feel quite sad and alone sometimes. I am so grateful that Jonathan can enjoy all four of his grandparents, and his great-grandmother- Mike's grandmother. I am also grateful that I have my memories of both my grandmothers and can share them with my children when they grow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Auntie Rena...I miss her daily calls, her comforting words, and her TOTAL understanding of me.
It brings me great comfort knowing my mom is not alone.
I really miss them both.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me cry at work!

Denise said...

Sorry! I meant to make it a "happy" type of tribute, but I guess I didn't succeed!

Anonymous said...

It was a "happy" tribute...there comes a point when sadness and loss become happy memories and acceptance.
It makes me happy to talk about my Auntie Rena...that's what keeps her alive.
Thank you.