Saturday, June 23, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth

Mike and I decided to rent some movies last night, and we were browsing the rental store, when Pan's Labyrinth caught my eye. I read the cover and it sounded like an interesting story, like a fairy tale for adults. I knew that it had won some awards, so I thought it might be good. When we had browsed all the new releases I said that I had some interest in seeing it, and since Mike didn't really have any movies that he wanted to see (except for The Breach- but since he already tortured me with the Good Shephard he thought he'd skip it for now...) we rented Pan's labyrinth. When we got up to the cashier she said "Did you know this movie has subtitles?"
"What?" I asked.
"It's in Spanish, and it has subtitles. It's a great movie, but I wanted to let you know it's got subtitles"
I turned to Mike who was holding the baby and asked him if that bothered him. He sort of shrugged and said "not really..." so I told the woman it was o.k.
"You're the first person to take it" she laughed, "it really is a good movie."
I guess most people don't like to read when they're watching a movie... too much work???
Anyway, the movie was really good, better than I expected. I mean, parts of it were really violent and graphic, I closed my eyes a few times. Parts of it were also depressing... I mean, I said, "oh no!" quite a few times as well. But over all the story was really well done, and the makeup and special effects were fantastic without taking away from the story- as special effects often seem to do these days. Anyway, if you don't mind reading a little while watching a movie, and you like "fableish" (yes I know that word doesn't exist) stories you will definitely like this one.

No comments: