Tuesday, June 5, 2007

A day in the life...

I am so lucky to have stayed at home for Jonathan's first year. It really is a great job, if you can get it. Well, it's a great job if you can afford it really, a shame so few of us can do that at this point.
My schedule today:
6:30 am Wake up, change diaper, bring baby downstairs
7:00 am Make coffee and bagel
7:30 am feed baby
7:30-9:00 play with baby, make sure baby doesn't get hurt while he is crawling and pulling up on everything.
9:30 change baby again, give baby bottle, put him down for a nap, quickly run to take a shower!
10:00 mom arrives, or "nonnie" because she is going to help me get some planting done. I take out the trash, bring in the recycling bin and empty dishwasher. Start filling dishwasher with dirty dishes from breakfast.
11:30 start heating up something for lunch
11:35 baby wakes up from nap.
12:00 give baby lunch
1:00 go outside and plant two tomato plants, two butterfly weed seedlings, and five zinnia seedlings while Nonnie watches Jonathan
2:00 get three calls in five minutes warning us of impending tornado. (I'm not kidding), watch as dark clouds pass to the northeast
3:00 after more changings and one more bottle Jonathan goes down for second nap around 3:15.
3:30 Nonnie leaves
4:00 start deciding what to do for dinner, put in load of laundry. Discover water in the basement from the rain yesterday. Empty dehumidifier jug, start it up again. Remove empty laundry soap containers into recycle bin.
4:15 put more seeds in bird feeder, sit outside for a few minutes in the nice breeze.
4:30 Jonathan wakes up, change diaper, give him a bath
5:00 feed Jonathan dinner
5:30 make salad for us- plan to defrost steaks for grilling on our new grill.
6:00 Mike arrives home, I put on rice and watch Jonathan while Mike makes steaks
6:30 Eat our dinner
8:00 After more changings and playing, Jonathan seems somewhat sleepy.
8:15 change clothes in laundry
8:30 Jonathan's bedtime
O.k. that's not everything, I mean, I also emailed a few people, watched some T.V. and other stuff... and I didn't list every changing, but you get the point.
Like I said, it isn't a bad job if you can get it! The only catch is that the job lasts 24 hours a day for the next 18-22 years. It is definitely worth it though, have you seen the little guy? He is too cute for words.

2 comments:

ajcb1976 said...

Hey Denise,
This is really neat - do you know how crazy some of my days are? I should write one of these. I'm happy that Jonathan is on a smooth, predictable schedule now as he seems very content (I'm sure you are too). Though I disagree with you that the job lasts 18-22 yrs. Yeah, I thought Luke would NEVER learn to use the toilet, but he finally did! hopefully, by the time our kids are 18 they won't need as much care as we're providing now.
Andrea
P. S. Has anyone else posted comments on this blog yet?

Anonymous said...

only one other person left a comment, and it was someone I've never met!

You should definitely write one of these, Andrea, and save it for when your kids are older to remind yourself and them what you did!!
Denise