Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My perhaps overly ambitious spring project...

Well, I decided to grow a "butterfly garden" this year. You see, they have these great "garden plans" at bhg.com (better homes and gardens). Well, it looked so pretty in the plan, and the flowers don't seem like they would be that hard to grow, and for those of you who don't know my back yard, it has these cute terraced beds that would be perfect for a flower garden. Anyway, I went a little overboard at Burpie.com and bought a LOT of plants. Well, not that many, but a lot more than I would normally buy in one season... or five seasons for that matter. But my reasoning was this, if I buy most of the plants needed now, I will just have to supplement a bit in the next few years and then the garden will pretty much run itself, since most of the plants are perennials. Now that the plants have arrived (two were D.O.A.) I'm thinking, what the heck have I gotten myself into? I'm no expert gardener, and getting the bed ready is going to be tough, because we have a lot of rocks (as well as a bit of grass). Also, it is not so easy to garden with a 7-8 month old... but if I don't keep these plants alive, then all my money will be wasted, and I'm not one for wasting money. So here's hoping for a good planting/growing season, of course tonight snow is forcast... luckily I haven't planted anything yet. With any luck, by July I'll have photos of the butterflies in my garden.

No comments: