Sunday, September 2, 2007

Happy Labor Day!

Tomorrow is Labor Day... the first holiday of the school year. Conveniently, it falls just a few days after we start school. Most of us feel we need a break already, or at least we need to start slowly. Going back to work is weird enough when you have summers off, but going back to work after a year of taking care of an infant and taking a few classes is torturous. Partially because you haven't done it in so long, but mostly because you have to get another person ready every morning. (I used to barely be able to get myself ready.) So far it hasn't been too bad in the morning, because I get everything ready the night before. The only problem is that the days start to run into one another because I come home, feed the baby, make dinner, play with the baby, put the baby to bed, get the bottles ready, get his bag ready, think about what I'm going to take for lunch the next day, make sure I know what I'm bringing him for lunch the next day, figure out what I'm wearing the next day... and then go to bed. Forget grading and planning, I'm not sure when I'm going to find time for that. Anyway... I know that EVENTUALLY it will be nice to be a teacher and a mom. Summer vacations with the kids, Christmas week off every year... there are definite perks, I know... but getting to the point where it is nice to be a teacher is going to take a while. Right now it is just like, wow, I wish I didn't have to wake up so damn early, I wish I didn't have such a long commute, I wish I didn't have a mortgage that I have to work to pay... etc. Anyway, enough of this vent. I just think back to not having Jonathan and I wonder where the hell all that free time I had went!

No comments: