Sunday, October 19, 2008

The last days of the garden



This is a cosmo that looked particularly pretty on the slope of yard that I've converted to a small patch of garden. I didn't spend as much time or energy on the garden this spring and summer since I was working and taking classes (not to mention Jonathan wasn't walking last season.) I did still enjoy my flowers though, and I would have had more success with the garden had the deer not eaten so many of the cosmos, asters and zinnias. I hope next year to plant more butterfly blue pincushion flowers, as they seemed to attract the most butterflies for me last year. I didn't replant them, because they were supposed to be perennials, but only one came back, and it never bloomed. I also plan next year to plant the alyssum in a large patch, rather than in a line, because I've heard that butterflies are more attracted to big splashes of color and flowers.

No comments: